Is NeuroStar TMS Therapy ® Right For You?
If you suffer from depression and have not had satisfactory results from standard antidepressant medication, then NeuroStar TMS Therapy ® may be able to help.
People try this treatment approach for depression because they are looking for an alternative treatment for depression that does not involve medication. NeuroStar TMS Therapy ® does not have side effects that are associated with treatment with drugs.
If you agree with two or more of these statements, then ask your doctor about NeuroStar TMS Therapy®:
- I have switched medications for depression due to side effects
- I would like to try a proven, non-drug therapy for depression
- I have not had satisfactory results from using depression medication
- I worried about, or have experienced side effects from depression medications
- Depression symptoms negatively affect my daily life
When Should NeuroStar TMS Therapy Not Be Used?
NeuroStar TMS Therapy ® delivers a magnetic field that could cause any metal objects that are near the device to move or to get hot.
For this reason, NeuroStar TMS Therapy should not be used in patients who:
- Have magnetic-sensitive metals implanted in their head or within 12 inches of the NeuroStar treatment coil.
- Have an implanted device that may not properly function in the presence of the NeuroStar TMS System, even if the device is located outside this (12 inch) distance.
The following is a list of metal implants that will prevent a patient from receiving TMS:
- Aneurysm clips or coils
- Bullet fragments or shrapnel in or near the head
- Facial tattoos with metallic or magnetic-sensitive ink
- Stents in the brain or neck
- Metallic implants in your eyes or ears
- Implanted stimulators
- Cardiac pacemakers or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Electrodes to monitor brain activity
Ask Your Doctor if TMS is Right For You
Your doctor will ask you to list any metal devices or objects in your head or body in order to determine if those devices could be affected by the NeuroStar TMS System. Use of NeuroStar TMS Therapy® in the presence of these objects could result in serious injury or death.
Note About Dental Work
Standard amalgam dental fillings are not affected by the magnetic field. For this reason, these types of fillings are acceptable in people being considered for treatment with NeuroStar TMS Therapy®.
Talk to a Certified NeuroStar TMS Therapy® physician provider to learn more about how this proven alternative for depression treatment has helped other people with their depression, and whether it may help you or your loved one. If you are in the Houston area call Daniela White, M.D. at 713-426-3100.
For a provider in another state- call the TMS Customer Service Center, at 1-877-600-7555.